We were at RAW last night in Portland and, after seeing what was televised and what came across on screen, I thought I’d write down some notes from the live show.
Emma vs. Alicia Fox:
- Fantastic. The crowd was really into it the whole way through.
Adam Rose vs. Fandango:
- Crowd was way behind Fandango and Adam Rose actually got quite a few boos until the Rosebuds starting getting the crowd going for him.
Reigns vs. Rybaxel:
- Roman Reigns is really interesting live, there are a lot of physical ticks he has that don’t come across on TV. I will say that he is definitely more of a TV wrestler, he gets the crowd going but he doesn’t have sophistication some of the other wrestlers have.
- Ryback was constantly working the crowd throughout the match and we were eating it up.
Rollins vs. RVD:
- RVD had some of the biggest pops of the night.
- Rollins was really hamming it up for the crowd and I’m super impressed that it didn’t come off as over the top on screen. Rollins and Cesaro are in a league of their own when it comes to balancing playing to the crowd and playing to the cameras.
Cesaro vs. Swagger:
- While Swagger was recovering on the outside, Cesaro was straight up dancing and doing the Ali shuffle in the ring and the crowd was really into it - some booing, some cheering. All around Cesaro was amazing at working the crowd.
Stephanie/Brie Confession Segment:
- The crowd was bonkers for Brie pulling out the Yes Lock.
Bray Wyatt/Jericho Conversation:
- A little boy behind me was so scared when Bray Wyatt appeared on screen that he started sobbing and his dad had to carry him out. I had no idea they were THAT scary to little ones.
AJ vs. Eva Marie (Paige interruption):
- The crowd wasn’t too into this match but they were very much into Paige.
Heath Slater vs. Dolph Ziggler (Miz on commentary):
- Miz came out first to mild heat, but he when he climbed on the announce table and started pantomiming to the crowd and got the crowd going very quickly.
- Slater was out next to immediate “Slater” chants that were way louder live than translated on TV. He looked genuinely excited and his Aw-shucksy reaction got the crowd going even louder. I guess Portland in now a Heath Slater town.
- Ziggler came out to a huge pop (unsurprisingly).
- The camera didn’t catch it, but when Ziggler tossed his Miz t-shirt toward the announce table, he totally beaned Michael Cole - and that got a nice little pop.
- The crowd was back and forth for both Slater and Ziggler, though Ziggler got bigger pops for all of his offense, especially against the Miz.
Sheamus vs. Randy Orton:
- That RKO looked even nastier live.
Hogan Birthday Celebration:
- When the superstars were filling the stage during the break, Pat Patterson and Ziggler came out goosing each other and messing around and it was precious.
- I don’t know if the cameras caught Big E/Kofi/Xavier but they were standing together at the end of the stage in matching gear - so keep the hope alive.
- Stardust watching Hulk Hogan was more entertaining than watching Hulk Hogan.
- The crowd was nuts for Piper and I don’t think it seemed half as loud on TV as it was live (not too surprising since he’s not only awesome, but also local).